5/16/12

Mack's 5-15-12 Top 11 Mock


This will probably be my next-to-last mock draft. I'll do one just before everyone sits down at the tables.

Once again, I just pick the top 11. YOU get to pick the Mets choice.

Let's start:

     1.       Mike Zunino - C - Florida (Houston Astros)
               Everybody tells me that the Astros will go pitcher here. I'm sure they will, but I wouldn't. There simply aren't that many great athletes playing behind the plate anymore and it could be a decade before a team gets a shot at someone like Zunino. You simply can't pass on this kid. You can't.

    

      2.       Kevin Gausman - RHP - LSU (Minnesota Twins)
               Look, you know who all these guys are so I don't have to type out a bunch of stats. I not only believe that Kevin is the top pitcher in the draft, but I believe he will be MLB ready on opening day 2014. He's that seasoned.



      3.       Byron Buxton - OF - Appling County HS - (Seattle Mariners)

      Okay, you want some stats? Through 29 games: .452/.589/.952, 10-HR, 16-SB, 0.83-ERA, 44K/25.1 IP, does windows. Buxton is the big bat in this draft, especially after the injury to Victor Roache. I like him a lot, but not as much as Zunino; however, I understand he also 'sits' at 94. Hmm...


    4.       Kyle Zimmer - RHP - USF - Baltimore Orioles
     Yes, Kyle did tweek a hammy earlier this month, but doesn't everyone do that at least once? I'll still bet on his 85/K-13-BB ratio in 76.1-IP everytime, which were his numbers going into the tweak. A hair below Gausman.



     5.       Carlos Correa - SS - Puerto Rico BA HS - San Diego Padres
     Yeah, I finally got on the Correa-train. You happy now? Correa will go into the draft as the most talented middle-fielder in the draft, even though he projects out at the hot corner. It's all there... gap power, pop, speed, D... my downside is coming from the PRBA. Teams will overlook that.


6.       Mark Appel - RHP - Stanford - Pittsburgh Pirates
I can't believe I got this guy down to sixth. Appel has caught a lot of questionable press this mock season, even though he basically hasn’t done anything wrong. I would have had him higher but… err… there are five better players above him. 


7.       Lucas Giolito  - RHP - Harvard-Westlake HS - Florida Marlins
It took me awhile to project Luc in this draft. Take away the injury and I have him number one, but, you can’t totally ignore injuries. There is a tremendous amount of money separating the first and seventh pick, and this is probably a safe slot for him. No, he will not drop to #12. 




8.       Albert Amora - OF - Mater Christian HS - Pittsburgh Pirates
Amora has snuck up on me these past few weeks and I’m relying on a bunch of things others have said about him. Everybody seems to have him as the #2 outfielder behind Buxton so who am I to quibble?

9.       Lance McCullers Jr. - RHP -Tampa Jesuit HS - Florida Marlins
11-0 record, 0.12 ERA and 107 K/18 BB ratio over 58.1 innings. Come on… I don't care if he did this against small people (they used to be called midgets). This is still one sick stat line.



10.   Courtney Hawkins - OF  - Carroll HS - Colorado Rockies
A few of the writers here at Mack’s Mets are putting together an interview with the introverted (sic) Hawkins. He seems to be able to hit as well as he tweets, which says a lot for his baseball prowess.



11.   Victor Roache  - OF - GSU - Oakland Athletics
2012 has been a complete bust for Vic, but his kind of injury won’t stand in the way for a budding professional career. Easily a future 25+ home run guy.




13 comments:

Stephen Guilbert said...

Glad you're on the Correa train. It's a good one to be on.

Given this first 11, the Mets select with their first pick in the 2012 amateur draft, Max Fried, LHP high schooler out of Harvard-Westlake Academy, CA.

Roache to the A's is a thought of mine as well but I could also see them pulling the trigger on Heaney or Stroman.

Shankbone said...

What say you about Roache surgery being complicated, more like a Cliff Floyd type deal: (From BA): The complicated surgery required the insertion of six screws, two pins and a metal plate to repair the damage; as one scout put it, “This was closer to Cliff Floyd than a regular broken wrist.”… Roache had indicated he would try to come back for the Southern Conference tournament, which could help determine whether or not he goes in the first round.

I'm a big fan of Roache, but that sinks it for me, at the 11, 12 or 20 spot where my Gigantes pick.

I think Fried is a high risk high reward pick, like all HS lefties. Good choice.

Mack Ade said...

Roache could not rehab in time to come back in the playoffs, but I believe, in the long run, the new wrist wll not hamper the ++ bat speed nor the ++ eyesight needed for that swing

Mack Ade said...

let me know when you want my to add my Mets pick

Stephen Guilbert said...

Mack, my guess is you go with Fried or Dahl.

Mack Ade said...

Fried would be a good pick...

Dahl hasn't had a great season...

no need to draft Shaffer...

I like Smoral over Fried...

and I like Eflin and Weickel...

WITH THE 12TH PICK, MACK PICKS...

TOM MURPHY - c - UNIVERSITY OF BUFFALO

Anonymous said...

Tom Murphy?

Thats a bit high for him to be going dont you think? I thought he was a late 1st rounder, possibly even supplement pick

Mack Ade said...

Soto:

I am picking for the Mets, right?

You don't expect them to pick someone that is... like... obvious???

:)

Mack Ade said...

My actual pick, under this plan would be Matt Smoral. I really think he will be a star someday.

Sadiq Rahman said...

Stephen, I am gonna join you and say Max Fried would be my pick here. We need a lefty in the rotation between Wheeler and Harvey.

Mack you have to get me sold on these Smoral and Eflin guys. Their last names and left handed arms just don't intrigue me.

Sadiq Rahman said...

Victor Roache, really?

Mack Ade said...

and they laughed when I said Alay Soler...

remember the Roache, Sadiq

Mack Ade said...

Smoral

6-8 LHP

mid 90's

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/vPQqeORIO0C9WdrGFAIOQQ/matt-smoral-not-letting-foot-injury-slow-baseball-career-down.htm