8/26/12

Ask Mack - Nimmo, Zo, David




Gary Seagren asked -

Hi Mack, after reading your post on Brandon Nimmo being "scary good" Trout/Harper-like blew me away, I picked myself up off the floor, composed myself and had to email you for a follow up to please elaborate further.

 Could you also include Alonzo Harris's progress.

As far as David Wright is concerned I don't get that it is in David's or our best interests to sign him long term. As much as I love the guy he deserves to spend some time on a winning team where he has a chance for a ring. With us he'll be in his mid-30ss before he has any shot at one. Trade him for two or three top prospects, hey we got Zack Wheeler for 2 months of Carlos Beltran, and let’s call this what it is....REBUILDING and move on. My best to you as always Mack, Gary Seagren 

Mack – Good hearing from you, Gary.

First thing first… I have never seen Brandon Nimmo play baseball. This is a case of others telling me what they think.

I have talked recently with three different people that have consistently watched Brandon on a regular basis and they have all said that he possesses that rare level of talent that you see in only a handful of people at each minor league level. I saw this first hand with Ryan Zimmerman when came to Savannah. It happened again with Jason Heyward and Jesus Montero. They were men playing with boys, regardless of their age (another one was David Price).

The people I have spoken to in the past 45 days all say the same thing: Nimmo is one of those rare talents that seem to have the God given ability to rise above his competitors. Or, as we say, become a superstar.

I recently wrote about Alonzo Harris. Scroll down to a post on 8-22-12.

Regarding David Wright, this is out of our hands now and I, like most of the other writers out there, are pretty sick and tired about talking about this situation.

One of three things will happen between now and 4-1-13:

1.     Wright’s contract will be extended for the 2013 season

2.     Wright’s will be traded

3.     Wright’s contract will be renegotiated to include a long team deal

Gary, it is what it is. We all need to move on and let this rest until one of the above three things happen.

No comments: