8/24/12

Ask Mack - Writers, Puello, Nimmo, Matz, Burnout


Justin asks:         Hey Mack, you have like ten writers listed on your site, but they don’t write very often. Are they real?
Mack:        Lol. Yes, Justin they are real, but they also have a real life with real responsibilities. Mack’s Mets is my site and I dedicate 8-10 hours a day here because this, gardening, playing with my daughter and grandchildren, and spending time with my bride is all that remains in my life. I love doing it and I love anything they add, when they add it. By the way, none of the writers do this for me. They write when they want to say something to you, the readers. That’s the way it should be. 

Jamal asked:      You used to be quite high on OF Cesar Puello. Are you still?
Mack:        You’re a long time reader. You know the majority of my ‘contacts’ are scouts and they are turned on by one thing, tools. Take a survey and Puello wins hands down as the Mets outfielder with the highest ceiling. There’s no one even close.
2012 has been a horrible year for him. First came a broken finger and then a hammy. His stats going into Wednesday’s game in St. Lucie were: 189-AB, .249/.317/.392/.709, 14-SB, 53-K, 5-BB. Prospects don’t survive with 53 strikeouts in 189 at-bats and only five walks. Jordany Valdespin walks more than this and he’d swing at a poltergeist.
Puello is still young and will play 2012 as a 22-year old. I’d send him back to Lucy and give him a chance to dominate. First thing first… get through the Rule Five draft. 

Ed Marcus asks: Has your opinion on Brandon Nimmo and Steven Matz changed and where do you think they will begin next spring?   
Mack - Actually they have. Steven is having a hard time getting his arm back to 100% and had to be shut down again in Kingsport. He was light out and hitting 100 and doesn’t have the ability to hold back. I’m not sure that it was helping things right now. I look for him to held back again in the spring and not start with a full season team.
Nimmo is a different case right now. He’s turning out to be scary Trout/Harper-like good. This may wind up to be the pick of the decade. I’m sure he’ll break for Savannah, but I don’t think Lucy is out of the picture either. 

David asked – Your writing has taken on a negative tone over the past couple of years. You never said anything bad about a Mets minor league player but that isn’t the case anymore. Is this Mets burnout?
Mack – Hmm. You know, I don’t see that in my writing but I trust what you say. I’ve tried so hard to always have the backs of the minor league players who don’t deserve any of the grief the major leaguers get. I’ve always felt that you are open game once you start earning $400K a year, but $25K and a bad bed just doesn’t deserve grief from an unemployed minor-league beat reporter. Maybe it is burnout. I’ll try and be better. 

Tommy – Tell the truth, Mack. Don’t you make up some of these questions just to create a post on a slow day?
Mack – Thanks for the question. No, it’s tempting sometime, but I would never do something like that. 

Lakisha asked – Hey Mack, I saw you picture on your site. You’re hot. Wanna hook up?
Mack – See, I told you all these questions are for real.

3 comments:

Justin M. said...

Awesome that you're hearing such great things about Nimmo. Trout/Harper comps make me giddy.

I'm starting to think we can pencil the Mets in for the #6 pick in the draft.

Mack Ade said...

This is a team in total turmoil and could go as low as #2, as high as #14.

I wasn't wrong about drafting "someone" with only American Legion/Travel Team experience... but I was wrong about the player. He supposedly carries himself like a 25-year old.

I had real bad info on him when he was in extended camp. Turned out to be a jelious minor leaguer no longer in the organization.

The sky's the limit these days with kids like Trout and Harper. I can see Brandon playing St.Lucie/B-Mets in 2013 and B-Mets/AAA/September Queens in 2014

Surabhinudp said...

Director, Chris Weitz, has given clues that he may be open to a more experimental soundtrack than the first one. He has made scores of television appearances beginning with Ally McBeal and continuing with countless performances on Oprah Winfrey, Good Morning America, The Today Show, two PBS specials, the Superbowl, the Oscars and the closing ceremonies of the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics with an audience of over 2 billion people. O Come All Ye Faithful (with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir)