8/13/12

A Word To You Prospects – Mack Ade


This goes out to the prospect players (and their family members) that read Mack’s Mets.

This is all just my opinion. There are no facts here. It’s just babble by what some bloggers call a sick old man.

This is also not an anti-Mets message to you; it is an anti-Wilpon message. You do not want to sign a long term deal with this team until someone else is sitting in the owner’s chair.

The Wilpon’s will pay what the league says they have to pay you and not a dollar more. Work hard, win games, but don’t do what Jon Niese has done unless you feel you don’t have the talent to make more that he’s going to be paid over the length of his contract.

The Wilpon Mets had two opportunities to sign the heart and soul of this team. They let one leave (Jose Reyes) without even a back-ended offer and they choose to disrespect David Wright with all this non-speak Fred and Sandy seem to have down now. Fred says “talk to Sandy” and Sandy says “we’ll get around to it”. Give me a fucking break! This is Jose Reyes and David Wright. What chance do you have?

Guys, I’ve worked my ass off for almost nine years writing about you… for free… and all I ever asked for was a press pass and a decent team. I haven’t seen a better manager than TC and Sandy Alderson seems like a decent man, but he made a big mistake taking the Commissioner’s advice to go to work for this family.

Check with your friends on other teams. No free agents want to sign here and no agents recommend them joining this team. The scouting division has been ransacked twice and they barely have enough money to pay the ‘vig’ on the money they owe.

The Los Angeles Dodgers proved overnight what “new money” can do for a bad organization. Were you impressed with what they did before the trading deadline? Well, wait until you see what they do in the off season. These are the kind of teams 26-32 year old superstars want to play for, and you can’t get to the World Series without a handful of these on your team.

The Mets had them on their team. Their names were Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran, Johan Santana, Pedro Martinez, Carlos Delgado… and David Wright. All will be gone by the end of next season. All of them. Go out there and make a star out of yourself and I promise, I will write the hell out of you, but please don’t sign a long term contract with these bastards.

The only chance the New York Mets have someday is for the same thing that happened in Los Angeles to happen in New York.  People have to stop supporting this front office. Seats have to be left empty. T-shirts have to read “Brooklyn Nets” or “New York Giants”.

The Bernie Madoff scandal only covered up a business that still would have been run into the ground. This is a family toy owned by a man who has a hard time answering how many... nah, I'm not going there. 

I’ll give Omar Minaya credit for one thing. He had Fred’s attention, but they both lived in an economy we may not see again for decades. New York City may be the largest city in the country but that means there are more positive things a New Yorker can do than anyone else in America. I am a New Yorker. We like to be around winners and we sure as hell don’t support losers for long. Sports are important, but, trust me, there is hockey and then there’s the Islanders.

You need to listen carefully here. You’re about to begin to make some serious ching for the rest of your life and there will come a time that money will not be everything. You will also want to be a winner and that means you’re going to have to take your game to a team that supports what you produce, not the other way around.

The math is staggering. There are 8,000,000,000 people on this earth and there are only 30 shortstops. Do you have any idea how much that is worth if you go all the way?

Again, this is just the ramblings of a babbling old ‘tough-guy wannabe’, something I was called recently online. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe Fred and Ethel have two hearts in their chests and they are going to solidify the rebuilding process by telling Wright’s agent to bring the top offer to the table and the Mets will add 10% to it.

Then, Sandy will get Jason Bay to agree to give all the contracted 2013 money to Michael Bourn to replace him in the 2013 outfield.

You know what? Bourn wouldn’t take the offer, and Wright’s agent wouldn’t even show up for the meeting.

No one wants anything to do with Fred and Jeff Wilpon.

No one.

Players, coaches, agents, players, scouts, workers, family members, vendors, blind monkeys… no one.

And to you, fathers, agents, advisors, and older brothers… read this post three more times. If the player around you is that good… well, then he deserves a great team to play for. The Mets are no longer a great team because of how they are run by the people that own them.

But, like I said, this is just my opinion, and what the hell does a babbling old wannabe know, anyway?

25 comments:

Billy Bob said...

This article just sickening. Why the heck would you write this? A BIG waste of time. No need to tell them what to do. When the prospects get here, it will 3-5 more yrs. Anyways, I don't believe Zack Wheeler, Matt Harvey, or Wilmer Flores read this website, so I don't care if a Chris Scwinden or Dylan Owen wants to leave. All I have to say is: GIVE THE METS SOME TIME AND RELAX!

Mack Ade said...

I don't understand what sickens you here. Should I not express my opinion of the Mets ownership and their mis-direction in both the past and the future.

Billy, the prospects you mentioned are here (Harvey), less than a year away (Wheeler) and one year away (Flores). They can;t just leave. That's not how the process works. It's...

Well, let's go back to the beginning.

Are you made at ME writing this or the Wilpons owning the team?

Reese Kaplan said...

Going into 2013 I see the only way the team can improve is to disassemble some of what they have. You have nothing of offensive interest to any other teams except your infield (minus the catcher, of course). You have no outfield. You have 4/5 of a starting rotation but Santana is shot. You're starting the season with Harvey/Niese/Dickey and a lot of hopes, dreams and trainer's tape. You have no bullpen. You have no bench (Hairston and Cedeno are both FAs). The only way to get better short of the Wilpons selling the team is to do as Mack suggested and trade Wright to restock the team. They won't do it, of course. They might trade Murphy or Davis but neither will bring back the same haul.

Billy Bob said...

Mack, I COMPLETELY agree with your view of ownership but there is no reason you should advice the prospects to bolt out of this organization. It's just wrong.....

Hobie said...

I guess I have to ask, Mack, do you really know the hand the Wilpons had in the baseball decisions made over, say, the last 10 years?

Certainly the Wilpons should sell since they obviously can’t afford a mlb toy., but let me see if I understand this rant : F & J won’t (can’t?) throw enough money at the problem in 2012? That’s all it takes: we could/should have landed Vittorino (having a sub-Hairston year) and H.Ramirez (whose stats aren’t that superior to say, Valdespin) and voila…we’re the Dodgers, 1G out of 1st?

If you’re saying they called the cab for Duaner, dictated the contract to Castillo, insisted on re-signing Ollie P, jettisoned D.Olliver & Bradford for Shoeneweis & Jaspn Vargas, hand-picked Bay over Holliday (or my choice, that off-season, Chapman), insisted JJ Putz NOT have a physical, picked Harvey over Chris Sale, Nimmo & Cecchini over ? and ??, etc. you won’t have to worry about any real talent signing long or short-term with them (they won’t be targeted).

I don’t really think they did, but of course don’t really know. They signed off on those deals of course, should they have known better than the “baseball people?” Now THAT would be meddling. If you’re saying they should not have hired Omar or Sandy, fine; but then whom should they have hired?

Mack Ade said...

Reese:

Any disassembly would have to include the sale of both David Wright and RA Dickey.

This post is about ownership.This team can not and will not compete until they field the proper team and, in my opinion that can't happen under the Wilpons.

Mack Ade said...

Billy Bob:

I can understand your feeling I am wrong to do this.

It just was something I felt necessary to say.

This is a small blog with a loyal, small following and readers here appreciate knowing how I feel. I care about the minor league players and I felt it necessary this weekend to put my frustrations to paper.

Mack Ade said...

Hobie:

I understand where you're going here...

No, I honestly think neither did anything other than sign off on players drafted, signed, or traded for, I also honestly believe they know less about baseball than my granddaughters.

They are real estate investors that think it's kool to own a baseball team and they follow the advise of one man, Saul Katz, in doing that.

The Mets are also something for "one of Fred's children" to play with, someone who has basically failed in everything else he has attempted to do in his lifetime.

The choices of which players when are a moot point now. All that matters today is there isn't enough money to run the team, other teams are not going to help the Mets get back on their feet, agents are going to steer their players away from signing here, and, until the Wilpons depart, things can only get better if draft pciks work out.

You'll have a decent 2014 team to root for, because of the pitching in the system, but the team will still be run badly with the Wilpons in the front office.

Mack Ade said...

An additional thought...

I feel it is important for me to write how I FEEL about this team, the players, the coaches, the owners, etc.

I also feel I need to be accurate when I quote stats involving the past.

The team is 2-48 in the past 50 years. I don't find that something to be proud of.

I started this blog to concentrate on the future. Players like David Wright were in the lower levels then, so I fell I have earned the right, over time,to express how I feel.

Your choice is to come here and read it... or not. I wish all of you would comment more, but, as you have learned, I have no room for rude responses.

Billy Bob asked me to give the Mets some time and to relax. The Mets have had enough time and relaxing isn't my strong suit.

I have one problem with this team... Fred Wilpon. Without him, there would be 5-6 other members of this organization (including his son) that would be gone.

Hobie pointed out bad moves, but with new money there would at least be MORE moves to possibly go bad (or good). This plan will never hold water for long.

The 2015 rotation looks, on paper, th be the best in baseball. We'll see.

They look to be backed up by 3-4 great relievers. We'll see.

But the Mets are not going to field a championship team without superstar players doing something other than throwing the ball to a catcher.

The business model is broken.

The owner is flawed.

The solution is simple.

Hobie said...

>> The business model is broken. >>


Certainly (assuming the Madoff Bank was the business plan…was there another?)

>> The owner is flawed.
>>
Sure, so was Steinbrenner


>> The solution is simple. >>
Nope. New ownership isn’t a “solution” any more than drawing 4 cards guarantees a pat hand.

Thought experiment: Steve Wynne buys the Mets and moves them to Las Vegas. D.Wright is given a lifetime deal with the LV Jackpots. Everybody happy?

Billy Bob said...

Do you guys have any idea how much money is off the books after next year? We will have more than 60 million to spend after the 2013 offseason. This team CAN and WILL resign Wright. He wants to be here and the Mets want him. The Mets will have enough flexibility to make this team a playoff team. There are many OUTFIELDERS and STARTERS this team will go after that offseason. Sandy even said that he isn`t here to run Oakland. He said he is basically waiting for one year where he can make vast improvements. Look at the options and tell me the future can`t be bright.

Billy Bob said...

2014 Free Agents: The year the Mets will have 60 million dollars to spend.

Free Agent Outfielders-
Nelson Cruz
Hunter Pence
Corey Hart
Shin Soo Choo
Jacoby Ellsbury

Free Agent Pitchers:
Ubaldo Jiemenez
Josh Johnson
Tim Lincecum
Jon Lester
Roy Halladay (If You Want)
Johan (If you want)

Closers:
Brian Wilson
Joel Hanrahan
Joba

DON`T GET DOWN ON THIS TEAM PEOPLE

Mack Ade said...

Hobie, I can't believe that you don't think the solution is simple.

Wasn't it a few months ago in Los Angeles?

Mack Ade said...

B.B. -
Assuming Santana, Wright, and Dickey are NOT resigned...

Coming off the books AFTER the 2013 season (salary + payout):

Santana - $31mil
Bay - $21.125
Wright - $15mil or $16mil - not sure
Dickey - $5.050mil

Total - around $73mil

But, you now root for the Oakland A's

The problem is the "crrent 12 month trailing cash flow" is AT LEAST -$30MIL.

The current operation has to operate in 2014 at around $64mil to maybe break even

I believe my estimate of the $30mil current operating loss is conservative and I welcome Mr. David Lennon to come on the site and give us the actual numbers.

Mack Ade said...

Billy, Billy, Billy...

the vast majority of free agents in the 26-34 year old range DO NOT want to play for a team that is run by this guy.

Most of the names you list have one great contract left in them. They want to play for teams like LAD, NYY, Boston, etc., that can get them a ring.

That road doesn't run through Flushing, my friend, and won't again until the front office is replaced with baseball people.

No, not Sandy and DePo... they are baseball people. Fred, Jeff, David, Saul are not.

This is a real estate company, in a bad market, that owns a stadium, which isn't paid for.

This has nothing to do with baseball.

Kapish?

Mack Ade said...

From "Metro" over at NYFS:

A guy who used to work in my building now works in ticket sales with the Knicks and has friends who work for both the Mets and Yankees and he said from what he has heard the Mets are anticipating "horrendous" season ticket sales and have already begun reaching out to people for renewals (and getting very poor feedback). Assuming there is no Josh Hamilton/Greinke on the way... the finances figure to be ugly.

Hobie said...

>> Hobie, I can't believe that you don't think the solution is simple. Wasn't it a few months ago in Los Angeles? >>

Oh, I forgot how simple a custody battle in divorce court and a bankruptcy proceeding were.

Mack Ade said...

Hobie - good one... :)

Mack Ade said...

I meant Mets VP Finance David Howard, not beat reporter David Lennon.

My bad.

Matt said...

You are a joke and a despicable bastard. Stop writing your word vomit under the guise of a Mets site.

You and writers are the bottom of the barrel.

You are an idiot who just lies non stop. You cut and paste most of your stuff, steal from other sites, and have zero insights.

This site is a joke and I hope to God our young players dont come here to read your filth.

They would be wise to avoid you at all costs.

Mack Ade said...

Welcome Matt.

I wrote earlier about certain Mets ans that chose to express themselves the same way you do.

Folks, this is becoming the majority of Mets fans out there. They are upset and their only outlet are writers who express their opinions in an orderly manner.

You are correct about the cut and pasting... I do that from all the Mets minor league teams that send me their press releases to, err, cut and paste.

The mass Mets fan is starting to come close to our close friends, the Philly fan.

Anonymous said...

"Players want to play for a team like the Dodgers that can get them a ring"

Are you talking about the LA Dodgers who have been to 1 World Series in the last 30 years and none since 1988?

Mack Ade said...

Yes, I'm talking about the Los Angeles Dodgers, who removed a deadbeat owner, dominated the trading dealine, and will dominate the free agent season...

Forget the past here... I'm not asking for the return of Joan or Steve.

I want Fred out and all Mets prospects to play through their arbitration commitments. Then, if the team is operated correctly by baseball people, I want them to sign with the Mets.

Anonymous said...

Wow.....Mack Im sad to see this written...

If this is stemming from the interview where Fred said "Ask Sandy" I think you are looking at it from the wrong view.

Me personally. IM GLAD he said ask Sandy. As a matter of fact when it comes to Fred and Jeff I dont want them TOUCHING this team at all.

As a fan I have the utmost confidence in Sandy Alderson as a shrewd but smart General Manager who will rid this team of the BAD contracts of the past and transistion us back to a team that grows talent and build around it rather then taxing the system for aging talent and then overpaying to build around it.

Any choice to overslot on a prospect is not the Wilpons decision its Sandy's, Fred's deferment of comment to Sandy proves this to me. To me not wanting to pay a prospect is more inclined to the new MLB rules which subjects a team to losing a lot of money or even picks rather then the budget the Wilpons set.

If your a fan of a team. Then be a fan. Dont turn yourself in the rabble that comments on Metsblog and spews constant negativity.

Sandy has a long term plan. I for one believe in his long term plan and fully support him, the scouts, Terry Collins, his staff (minus Dan Warthen and Ray Ramirez), and the players.

Mack Ade said...

Yo Soto... miss you on the site (I was in the Doc's office when the trade went down today and I miss your FLASH post that would have gone up).

I sent you a re-invite. Hope you come back.

I'm sorry my post upset you. I'd love you to post your thoughts on this.

Chris, I'm not a fan of the Mets. I write about them. And, I actually hate the front office.

I don't want any prospects to leave but I'd anything legal to help these guys sell out their interest.

And, I don't think Sandy will stay past this season.