8/22/12

2013 Draft Q and A – LHP – Tom Windle – University of Minnesota


Mack – Hey Everybody! We’re talking to day to Tom Windle, the 6-3 LHP junior (sophomore?) from the University of Minnesota. Hey Tom (is it ‘Wind’?)! How are things up north today?
Wind - Yes it is 'Wind'. Things are going good in Minnesota. The fall weather is coming and I am excited to get back to school.
Mack – Wind, the first question is pretty much the same one I ask all the prospects. Take us back to that first day someone put either a ball or a bat in your hand and walk us through the steps that got you to where you are today.
Wind - The story I remember from my dad is that he bought both my twin brother and I right handed gloves. Compared to my twin I was throwing uncomfortable and uncoordinated, so he went back to grab me a lefty mitt. I grew up playing Little League baseball where I learned and loved to play the game. I played hockey more than baseball growing up, but always managed to catch up with throwing in the winter to compete in the spring and summer. I had pitching instruction at times and worked hard to develop my strengths. I played high school and legion baseball before the move to the University of Minnesota. My coaching at Minnesota has allowed me to grow even more as a pitcher.
Mack - The Northwoods League had an interesting scouting report on you:
As a senior at Osseo High School (Minnesota), Windle made the All-State and All-Area Teams and was a Mr. Baseball finalist. He received these honors after recording a 6-1 mark on the mound with a 0.94 ERA. He struck out 73 batters over 51 innings of work. A standout hockey player as well, he was a Great 8 selection his senior campaign. Said Labbe, “I try not to load a roster full of freshman, but when you get the chance to add an arm like Tom’s, you cannot hesitate.” “Tom was a great high school hockey player, and I love the toughness that those kids bring to a team. He is very athletic and there is no limit to his potential. Depending on the number of innings he logs at Minnesota this spring, I would expect to see him in our rotation throughout the summer.”

 Do you look back at your summer leagues as the hub of scouting activity in the sport today?

Wind - I think summer leagues are a great opportunity for players to showcase their ability on the field. The different leagues around the country give players a chance to be noticed by other areas. I think, for myself, summer leagues have been important and helped to be seen, but the spring season is what matters. The amount of scouting activity probably comes from the overall potential for a player’s future.
Mack – Okay, let’s move on to the Golden Golphers. You had an excellent season (18-G, 4-ST, 3.27, 41.1-IP, 37-K), but the team did struggle (29-27, 11-13 in conference). Any chance we’ll see you move into the rotation this year?
Wind - I have every intention to put myself in position to be the Friday starter next spring. I started this summer and felt great in that role. I think I can help the team best by starting and going deep into games.
Mack – That’s what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the time and we’ll check back with you mid-season and see how things are going

Wind - Thank you and sounds good .

2 comments:

Haney said...

When the economy is thriving, there is a flurry of activities in the stock exchange. With the right forex training, you will soon be on your way to a profitable way to supplement your income. If you're selling your gold for cash to a company that doesn't tell you what they do with your gold, and who doesn't give you a clear price, then steer clear! A reputable gold refiner will tell you that they are selling your gold to dentists, dental laboratories, and jewelers. For more on ETFs visit Gold Bullion Securities (GBS)

Phillips said...

In fact, michigan government won numerous awards nationally for efficient government policy and services, like having one of the highest levels of on line services in the country for example also a stated snyder goal, under. Manual machinist development tech zeeland, mi. Michigan is among 49 other states to receive a chunk of cash from a landmark 26 billion settlement from five banks for alleged foreclosure abuse. Find all michigan mri technologist jobs at ihireradiology. Government and untangle what he called an outdated bureaucratic maze that makes it hard for u. Formally the anxiety disorder is the generated reaction of over stress but exceptionally the indication of anxiety. Potential clues to how autism miswires the brain are emerging from a study of a rare, purely genetic form of a disorder that affects fewer than 20 people worldwide. Funbag time for your weekly edition of the deadspin funbag. Forbes ford announces retirements of kuzak and booth, adds huntsman to board. Dont mind me, im just going to get a great big spotlight, shine it in your windows, and see how you like it.