8/7/09

Q&A




Question from Joe L.: Mack, any news on Mejia? Seems like an awful longtime to be out for a finger.


Mack: it sure does, doesn’t it? I never was that certain about this injury, but what do I know. There’s been multiple rumors about this kid being shut down for a various amount of reasons. Don’t get me wrong, he’s got what it takes to make it big in the pros, but he sure seems to be growing really fast. I mean, he was around 155 dripping wet when he came on the scene in 2008 and now he’s hollow-chested and around 190. Frankly, at this point in this miserable season, from top to bottom in the organization, I would be surprised to see anyone come back this month.



Question from Emily: I heard Mike Antonini was hurt this week. Any status?
Mack: SP Mike Antonini was cruising along in his second start-in-a-row Tuesday, when he got hit with a pitch and was forced out of the game. I talked briefly with him this week and he says he’s okay and will be back on the mound for his next rotation date.


Question from Joey in LIC: Is there any chance we’ll see Dillon Gee anymore this season?
Mack: It’s funny that you brought that up. I just got in touch with him to see how things were going. I was preparing this for another post:

Tracked down SP Dillon Gee to find out how his rehab is going and to see if there was any chance of him coming back this year. He said: “Hey Mack, rehab is going really well I feel good but I don’t think i will be back in games this year. Just focusing on getting back into bullpens before the end of the year then really resting this offseason and getting prepared for next year.”


Derek Showerman asked: Mack, with the big club in need of arms- do you think Tobi Stoner is ready for a cup of coffee in NY, or does he need more seasoning in the minors?

Mack: I’ve followed Stoner since he arrived in Savannah and he may wind up being the first Sand Gnat to ever go to Queens, but I don’t see him as a starter. The progress of a starting pitcher is pretty easy to track… promote the guy to a higher level… see how he does. In defense of Stoner, he hasn’t had the most support from his team over the years, but he always impressed at each level. But, this year he’s been quite inconsistent for the AAA-Bisons. Again, in defense of him, he doesn’t play for the great team in the league… hell, they may not even be the best team in Buffalo, but great pitchers can overcome that. Stoner has three excellent pitchers and he’d make a great long man, but that’s just me.

No comments: