5/18/12

Mid-March Review – Seven Men That Need a Plane Ticket:



1.     AAA – RP – Elvin Ramirez – the Washington Nationals made a huge mistake returning ‘El’ to the Mets. Yes, it was too early to pick him in the Rule 5, but this could easily be the future Mets closer. Ramirez always had the 98-99 velocity, but now he’s hitting the corners. 13 appearances in AA/AAA… 0.96, 18.2-IP, 22-K, 7-BB… next question.

2.     AA – SP – Collin McHugh – there really is nothing left for Collin to do at the AA level. He’s 13-6 for Binghamton over 2011 (2.89) and 2012 (2.05). The Mets keep signing outsiders for Buffalo, probably designed to keep the attendance up, with very little regard for the performance of the team. Priorities.

3.     A+ - 3B – Wilmer Flores – this is the second season at Lucy for the 20-year old and he’s done here: .321/.358/.507/.865… I had hoped to see him play a few games at first base, but AA-3B is blocked by Jefry Marte. There currently is no threat (or emergency plan) to Ike Davis, nor is Travis Ozga (.179) eating up Binghamton. Come on, guys.

4.     A+ - RP – Adam Kolarek – this is the first of two AA relievers that need to get on the AMTRAK to Buffalo. Kolarek is: 16-appearances, 1-0, 0.93, 0.88, 30-K, 19.1-IP, 3-BB. Really? Did I tell you he’s a 6-3 lefty?

 
5.     A+ - RP – Adrian Rosario – Speaking of 6-4 righties (?), stat line at Lucy:  16-appearances, 1-0, 0.96, 0.70, 18.2-IP, 26-K, 6-BB.

6.     AAA – LF – Vinnie Rottino – an absolutely excellent sign by Sandy and Company. ‘Tino can play all three outfield positions, corner infield positions, and behind the plate. Would be in Queens as #2 catcher if the Mets rotation didn’t love Mike Nickeas like they do. There’s no downside here… .346 vs. lefties… .304 vs. righties… .302 at home… .327 away… .315 in April… .308 in May. What more can I say?

7.     3B-1B-OF Eric Campbell – this has been quite a turnaround year for Campbell. Frankly, I didn’t think there was any more fuel in the tank, but I was wrong. Eric is a man in search of a position and, though many of his at bats came as a DH, you still can’t ignore a stat line of .310/.425/.506/.930. Campbell is 25-years old and there’s no reason he can’t utility in Buffalo.






4 comments:

The Closer said...

Plane ticket? there in Toronto, Buffalo is right across the lake. Elvin and Vinny can take a Ferry.

The Closer said...

Nice list Mack! Here are a few others that I'll throw out there that we can debate that over the next month or so when the minor league All Star break comes, could be in the conversation for a promotion:

Jefry Marte to Buffalo?
.311/.370/.434, 2 HR's 18 RBI's. Not much power so far, but he's hitting. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him spend the rest of the season in AA to continue to develop that power stroke.

Jack Leathersich to St. Lucie?
0.75 ERA, 0.75 WHIP, 37K's in 25 innings. Only gave up 10 hits so far, so he's hard to square up. The kid just strikes guys out, so let's see if he can keep this up against better hitters.

Matt Den Decker to Buffalo?
.305/.636/.543, 5 HR's, 20 RBI's, 15 2B's, 3 3B's, much of it out of the leadoff spot. He's hot right now and CF's with his defensive prowess don't grow on trees. Obviously, the BB:K will always be an issue for him, but he's getting better and the extra base % clearly speaks for itself.

Juan Lagares to Buffalo?
.291/.354/.396. Slow start, but he's finally hitting again. Should be back above .300 in no time. The problem with him is his bat doesn't profile as a corner outfielder and I'm not sure if they are comfortable with him in CF either. He won't play CF either with MDD on the same team, so who knows what to do with him. Trade bait?

Travis Taijeron to St. Lucie?
.284/398/.537 8 HR's 27 RBI's and plays CF. Cooled off a bit, but still a threat to go long each AB and can take a walk if he doesn't get a pitch to hit. Adam Rubin brought up the notion of him being a catcher previously, maybe nows a good time to buy him a set of catcher's gear? Pipe dream, I know!

Alex Panteliodis to St. Lucie?
Eh, got hit hard his last time out, but otherwise has been good, not great. 2.94 ERA, but walks too many batters and not enough K's for my liking. I'm sure based on his age, he'll get some starts in St. Lucie before seasons end.

Tyler Pill to St. Lucie?
37 K:7 BB's. 1.89 ERA. He gives up a few too many hits for my liking (1.26 WHIP), but seems to know how to pitch around them. Another college pitcher, who may get some St. Lucie starts in August.

Wilfredo Tovar to Binghamton?
.295/.358/.402 10BB's to 11K's on the season, which is amazing to me, especially considering we think of Flores as a contact hitter and he's 8bb's to 13K's. He also has 10 2b's and 1 HR and probably plays the best defensive SS out of any SS in our organization. He's my darkhorse for top 10 prospect by season's end.

Hamilton Bennett to Binghamton?
4-0, 1.76 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, 17K's to 2 BB's. I've never seen him pitch in person personally, but I hear he has quite the mustache. That only should be intriguing.

Any others that we could consider?

Mack Ade said...

Everybody you mentioned is having a wonderful year; however, you can't get promoted unless there is an opening on the new team.

BTW - why aren't you writing for us on Mack's Mets?

The Closer said...

Mack, I'd love to, but I really wouldn't be able to give you a commitment as to when I could be able to post here.

I'm on the road all day for work and don't really have the time to sit down like I used to when I had a desk job. I'm at home today, so I had some time to put together a bit of a lengthy post.

Also, my wife is 5 months pregnant, so I'm definitely more of a reader/commentor than a contributer these days, but I'm still a loyal reader and I enjoy reading your Daily Mets Minors report each morning.

I like to pull up your site on my phone when I'm in between appointments to kill some time. If things change, I'll certainly take you up on that offer.