8/6/19

Dwight Hood - I Just Wanna Have Fun As A Mets Fan


This is going to be short and simple.

I’m tired. It is 11 PM. I have had a long day of work. I stayed up to complete work. The Mets were my companion tonight. 2 games of a doubleheader were my companions. As I typed my work reports, I looked up to check scores. Mets win game 1, 6-2 final score. Mets within 1 game of .500.

The Mets have not been at the  .500 mark since May. Seems like the Mets were 11 games under .500 a few weeks ago. There was little hope for the 2019 season. They were going to be sellers at the trade deadline. The record began to creep up. Our pitchers kept providing quality starts. 

Cano was heating up. Lugo was named closer of the month of July. McNeil just kept raking. Even though Alonso is showing signs of the post home run derby curse, he still manages to get key hits.

We got Stroman. We kept Thor and Wheeler. We kept hitting. We kept getting quality starts. Consistent team play has led to tonight. Sweep the double dip from the lowly Marlins and have a….winning record….

The Mets hit 3 straight solo home runs to overcome a 4-2 deficit to record a come from behind win, 5-4. Davis, Conforto, and Polar Bear Alonso. 3 straight JACKS!!!

Look at what’s happ’nin to me.
I can’t believe it myself.
Suddenly I’m up on top of the world.
Should have been somebody else.

Believe it or not, I’m walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free.
Flyin’ away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not, It’s just me.

The theme song for the Greatest American Hero. The series from the early 80’s about the unlikely substitute teacher who has an encounter with aliens who give him…super powers.

The 2019 Mets. Could they be the unlikely heroes? Could they be the underdogs turned champions? Can 1973 come back again? Only time will tell. 

I’m going to spend tonight as a sycophant. I’m not going to be critical. I’m not going to examine anything. I’m just going to recite those lyrics to the theme from the Greatest American Hero OVER and OVER and OVER.

I just want to have fun like…Yankees fans.



7 comments:

Rustyjr said...

I’m happy

Tom Brennan said...

Fun is a lot better than no fun in Metsville.

Mack Ade said...

Me so happy

John From Albany said...

When it's good...it's really good.

Reese Kaplan said...

I thought Cyndi Lauper said "Girls just wanna have fun." You're entitled to enjoy it, too :)

Anonymous said...

Amen, brother.

I am continually appalled by the number of fans eager to "tear it down," to crater, to lose for a few years as if that's a guarantee of anything.

Look, the Wilpons suck. It's frustrating that they never want to be excellent. At the same time, they just want to be in it.

With the 2nd WC, teams just have to play .500 for 5 months and then have a few great weeks. That's the goal nowadays.

As a fan -- and I do this for fun, folks -- I'm excited. I'm actually checking the standings, wondering who won the Phillies-Diamondbacks game. The folks in the stands yesterday sounded like they were having a great time.

Isn't that what it should be about?

Going into the season, I predicted 86 wins, believing it wouldn't quite be enough for a WC, and wishing the Wilpons would spend commensurate to the market. Then nearly everything went wrong. Wilson and Familia gave us nothing. Cano slumped all season long. Jed Lowrie disappeared! Nimmo vanished. Rosario couldn't field. And our starters didn't deliver. Yet somehow here we are, 2.5 games out. A great team? No, not really. But good enough to maybe do something special? Yes, I think so.

I'm enjoying this.

Jimmy

Gary Seagren said...

I go back to the immortal Tug McGraw "YOU GOTTA BELIEVE"!