8/11/19

STUNNING YOUNG METS HITTERS


SIMPLY STUNNING

The Mets have some stunning young hitters, driving their rise from being on life support in the ICU three weeks ago to roaring up through the standings.

Pete Alonso has 38 homers, with 46 games left to hit 4 homers to break the Mets all time record.  Can he do it?  Well, he hit 4 homers in his last 4 games, so I am confident the record will fall - in about a week or two.  Or maybe by Wednesday.

Jeff McNeil?  Wrote about him all year.  He's great.  You want me to write more.  OK.  Here goes...He's great.

Michael Conforto? Ripping the ever-loving-snot out of the ball lately.  Box of Kleenex please.  Alonso better keep an eye out behind him...Conforto wants to hit 40 this year, too.

JD Davis?  Hitting .400 over the past month, nearly Alonso-like power, seeming more and more each day to be more like a righty hitting equal to the great lefty hitting Jeff McNeil.  So to quote myself, if McNeil is great, then JD is "Great" too.

Amed Rosario - naysayers beat him up a lot this year - and his defense stunk - but now it's better - and he is 44 for his last 122 (.361).  People are wondering if a Star is Born...I say yes, yes, yes.

That fab five, my friends, is unparalleled YOUNG hitting talent in all of Mets history.  

Name me any Mets team that had 5 comparably great guys with so little combined MLB experience. 

OK...you can't...so you can smile now.  Smile a lot.

Because the talent of these 5 is ... STUNNING.

14 comments:

Gary Seagren said...

Agree and the future's so bright I gotta wear shades and you can quote me on that (: look as I wrote on your last post the question will be how many of these guys can we keep to get a few more years out of this and can the new front office pull more rabbits out of their hats (think J.D. Davis) and their handling of the FA market and international signings. It really is hard to believe the turn around in what 3 weeks...just crazy.

Michael S. said...

McNeil/Davis/Conforto/Alonso could be a great 2-5 in the order. Not sure that Rosario can sustain his OBP to be a leadoff hitter; if he can, 1-5 is set. Add Grandal as catcher (article in the last month had him positive about potentially signing here this offseason). A healthy Nimmo and you’ve got 7 of 8 set.

Gary Seagren said...

Something else as I'm on a roll alittle bit off topic but I think we need to give props to Phil Regan and Chili Davis don't we?

Viper said...

In the past I have said that the Mets found ways to lose. It was the pitching or the BP or late errors, etc.

Now, they find ways to win. So much more rewarding. Mets are fun to watch again. It feels like 1985/86.

You forgot another good young hitter who won't be getting LF back anytime soon. Dominick Smith. If Davis can play an average 3B and Smith an average LF next year he can be part of these young core too.

Rendon would look good at 3B too.

LFGM

Gary Seagren said...

Michael I don't know Grandal is what a year younger than Ramos and they have similar stats and yes YG is better defensively but we have WR for another year at only 9 and a half million and Grandal turned down I think a 4 year $60 million dollar offer. I wouldn't go for it at anywhere near those numbers and we have to use those Wilpon bucks to hopefully keep the team we have.

Gary Seagren said...

Viper I don't know about Rendon he will cost probably what 6 years at $150 mil. when we have our own Rendon in J.D. Davis and way too many of our own to sign.

Mack Ade said...

Let's not forget that... right now... Ramos is one of the Fab Six

Gary Seagren said...

Yes Mack and when was the last time any of us referred to our Mets as STUNNING? Mack I feel alittle younger knowing Phil Regan is 10 years OLDER than me and I remember watching him pitch in the good old days.

Tom Brennan said...

Great feedback - LGM - sign the pitchers. We can hold off on hitters a bit.

Let's cheer the heck out of Diaz - make him feel loved - that will get him back on track.

Mack is right - Ramos IS one of the Fab Six - but he ain't young like the other 5

Tom Brennan said...

I just wonder what Rosario will do next year as a 24 year old. I think a whole lot.

Mack Ade said...

Gary

Regan is now called... The Pitcher Whisperer

Tom Brennan said...

Would you trade Pete Alonso for Yordan Alvarez? My guess? YES

What a year that 22 year old is having at AAA and in the majors for the Astros - looks like an ULTRA Superstar in the making.

I love Pete - but this kid looks like he is a total freak.

Tony said...

I was surprised the Astros gave up on Davis after leading the PCL in batting even though he had an off year last year, if a player has shown he can hit in the past like that, then a team should at least give the player another year to redeem himself before giving up on him.

Tom Brennan said...

Thank heavens Houston gave up on JD Davis, all I can say.