1/3/23

The Mack Report (Correa, 5th Outfielder, Devers, Lorenzo Cedrola, Re-signed catchers)


Hey guys. 

Yes, I’m coming back as a Mets writer. This will be in addition to my prospect posts and will be a weekly feature on the site. It will encompass what’s inside my head each week, hopefully generating healthy banter. 

So… 


Correa 

My guess right now is this will happen. There is a lot of ego in baseball, all shared by the player, the agent, and the owner. Bad negotiations tend to blow up pretty quickly. This isn’t, so my guess is that Scott Boras is committed to get this done for his client, as a Met. 

This could easily all come to an end before I go to print. Rumor has it that Steve Cohen wants clarity from the league regarding some new mumbo jumbo he and Boras have come up with and the league office is closed until Tuesday, January 3rd. 

The terms could be the same with just new insurance language. 

I’m going to keep this as part of this report, even if an announcement is made before I finish this report. I’m curious how close I came to this.

 

The 5th Outfielder 

The Mets have a very talented starting outfield, but the chances of all three playing the entire 2023 season without an injury is just about an impossibility. Two are signed long term (Brandon Nimmo, Sterling Marte) while the team has a 2024 option on the 3rd (Mark Canha), 

For me, their 4th outfielder starts the season on second base (Jeff McNeil). Right now, the 5th would be Darren Ruf. 

Is this enough? No. Will there be an additional outfielder either traded for or signed? My guess, no. 

I just don’t see the Mets eating the last year of Ruf’s deal. And, he couldn’t possibly produce less than he did in 2022. 

Things will start to get complicated when Ronny Mauricio graduates from the minors. The current assumption is he will take over second base duties from McNeil, forcing a tough decision on who will become the 4th outfielder out of him, Marte, Nimmo, or Canha. My guess, Canha.

 

Devers

So, what if Corres and the Mets can’t come to terms? Do they go back to an Escobar/Baty plan for 2023? 

My guess is no. And my other guess would be swooping in and trading for that Devers guy over in Beantown, the caveat being that a long term deal could be agreed to at the trade announcement. I wouldn’t give up a shite load of prospects for one year of service for any player. 

My guess is that a package like this would include a young third baseman (Baty), probably Mauricio, and a young starter like Mike Vasil or Calvin Zeigler. The deal could also include the Mets taking on the bad contract of pitcher Chris Sale. Thoughts?

 

Lorenzo Cedrola

While we all sat around New Year’s weekend waiting for a Mets signing, they came up with this biggie… signing outfielder Lorenzo Cedrola to a minor league deal. 

The 5-8 outfielder hit .267/.303/.356 with 20 doubles and 15 stolen bases in Triple-A for the Reds in 2022. 

Lorenzo Cedrola Scouting Report 

Position: Outfield | B/T: R/R 

Height: 5′ 8″ | Weight: 152 lbs | Acquired: Trade (Boston, 2018) 

Born: January 12, 1998 

Hitting | He has a slightly above-average hit tool. 

Power | He has below-average power. 

Speed | Has above-average to plus speed. 

Defense | He has above-average defense. 

Arm | His arm is average 

Every team has to fill the cracks each year in their affiliate teams and the Mets are no exception. They are particularly weak in the outfield throughout the chain, so I expect we will see more signings before the season starts.

 

Re-signed Catchers   

The Mets have re-signed catchers Jose Mena and Oscar Campos to minor league deals. 

Mena is 26-years old, and has played six seasons in the Mets chain (.233). He mostly has played the past three seasons for the Cyclones, hitting .299, .167, and, last season, .233. 

The 26-year old Campos was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Houston Astros in 2014. 

He hit .305 in Indy ball in 2021, before being signed by the Mets (23-AB, .175). He spent most of last season injured but did hit .625, in 8-AB, for St; Lucie. 

Teams can’t have enough catchers signed before all catchers and pitchers report to camp. Minor league affiliates also tend to carry three catchers due to bullpen needs.

11 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

I’d like to see Mauricio make the team as a back up OF/IF. I think they’ll want him to play every day in AAA for a few months. We’ll see.

Devers? In Cohen World, you never know.

I’d say Lorenzo Pedrola has a shot to be that 5th outfielder for a while at some point in 2023.

Mack Ade said...

I sure hope they don't trade Mauricio

Mike Freire said...

Agree with Tom on Pedrola.....they seem to like a speedy/defensive OF'er on the bench, which makes sense.

I like the idea of Devers in our lineup, but I really don't like dealing Baty and/or Mauricio. Sure, you have to give to get, but those two could be foundational pieces in the near future (I still say they will both transition to the OF). Perhaps Baty in LF and Mauricio in RF?

Correa will cost just $$$, so that's a better path, IMO.

Good info, Mack......I didn't know about the league approval issue and the fact that they won't be in the office until today (I wish I knew that a few days ago, so I didn't have to check the websites every few hours). I agree that it seems like both sides want the deal to go through and hopefully it will.

D J said...

Mack,
Great to see you writing a weekly column. As always very insightful observations.
I posted this back in the Fall, but will repeat it as we near the International signing date 1/15/23. The Mets are linked at this time with three of MLB's top 50 International picks:

#27 Daiverson Guiterra, catcher, Venezuela
#29 Anthony Baptist , OF , Dominican Republic
#43 Christopher Larez , SS , Venezuela

The International signings are always a long term project, so we will not see results for several years, but we have been lucky on several recent signings.

Mack Ade said...

I think the Corres deal will be finalized this week

Mack Ade said...

Thanks DJ

I am thrilled that the new Mets are more committed to the Latin kiddies then The Tampons were

Rds900 said...

Your back? Didn't realize you were gone. Good to have you back, I guess.

Gary Seagren said...

Mack welcome back and the Tampons should have been committed and then omitted a long time ago as a good 10 years were wasted on those clowns. Thank you very much Bud Selig.

Mack Ade said...

Already working on the next one.

Tuesday 9am. Every week

bill metsiac said...

It's great to see you writing again, Mack! Like veteran players, you're planning on only a part-time supplementary role, but I'll be happier with that than your (semi-) retirement.
Stick around, it's going to be a great ride! 👍

Anonymous said...

Great to have Mack back
I love your thoughts
Eddie