1/2/23

Tom Brennan - Mets' 2022 Team Cy Young and MVP? Edwin Diaz, That's Who.


Any early picture, apparently, of Edwin Diaz and Carlos Correa. 
Cool, huh?


Let me cut right to the chase. 

I thought Edwin Diaz was the Mets' Team Cy Young AND MVP, despite other great Mets' performances in 2022, like Pete's RBIs, Jeff's batting title, etc.  

Simple: Edwin was the straw that stirred the drink in 2022.

This quote from a recent MLB article spells out why, without my having to search for words to say it:

"The Mets were an MLB-best 89-0 when leading entering the 9th inning, the best such record in a single year in franchise history.

"A big reason for that was Edwin Díaz’s dominance. He struck out 118 of 235 batters he faced – 50.2%. He became one of just three pitchers to finish a season striking out more than half the batters he faced..."

As the Mets were establishing a big NL East lead early on in 2022, he shut the door in tight games against the heart of the opponents' order OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. In Lethal fashion.

But this is just my "AWARDS" opinion.

I simply think he was both their most valuable player and best pitcher.

I think if the Mets had the 2019 version of Edwin Diaz pitching in 2022, the Mets would have hit real turbulence and won perhaps just 88-90 games. So...

If you wish to anoint other Mets players as your Mets' Cy Young and/or MVP instead, please feel free to do so here.

When you do, though, could you (just so I know you've digested the above) humor me by starting your statement with:

"While I understand that the Mets were an MLB-best 89-0 when leading entering the 9th inning, the best such record in a single year in franchise history, with a big reason for that was Edwin Díaz’s dominance, I think so-and-so should have won the Mets' MVP or Mets' Cy Young instead because..."

Thank you, and have a great day. You readers are the true MVPs.


4 comments:

Mack Ade said...

I like your choice but I would have voted for Oca.

Tom Brennan said...

Oca in 2024, for President. MAGA…Make America Gigantic Again

Gary Seagren said...

Is it to early for M ets A re G reat A gain!

Tom Brennan said...

Gary, you should get that into Sports Illustrated MAGA-zine.