8/5/09

Q&A with Mack: Valdespin, Niese, OF Prospects




Matt asked: Hey Mack, What's the status of Jordany Valdespin? Also, I see Josh Satin's playing a lot of second base lately. How would you rate him with the glove, and where do you see him down the line?


Mack: Valdespin was recently activated from the DL and sent to the DSL Mets. The last time I remember something like this happening was when late signing P Phillips Orta was sent there to rehab. This could easily also be a rehab, but with Valdepin, who knows. As one unnamed Gnat told me, “he’s a real bad-ass”. One thing for sure; the boy can hit: .322/.366/.480/.846 in 152 at bats for Savannah

Regarding Satin, no one is quite sure how this kid got a bad rap in the field. It could be his own fault when he jokingly said in an interview that he can’t field. Anyway, he can field, and has only seven errors in 102 games. He also can hit and his next test in 2010 will be playing for St. Lucie.
Charlie asked: Mack, we all expect Fernando Martinez to become a successful major league outfielder for the Mets, but who would be the next guy we should be looking to roam the grass at CitiFiled some day?

Mack: Simple question, not so simple answer.

As of today, the Mets have 41 outfielders on their nine minor league teams and, in my opinion, there isn’t one that currently is projected to make it to Queens.

Yes, there are players that show promise… D.J. Wabick has had a nice season for the B-Mets, but how many outfielders without 30+ home run power can play in Queens at the same time? Kirk Nieuwenhaus/St. Lucie and Sean Ratliff/Savannah have both earned a bump up in the spring, and both Cesar Puello and Javier Rodriquez should wind up in Savannah, but they’re years away.

The reality is the top outfield prospect of the future is most probably Wilmer Flores, who should begin the conversion to right field next year at Lucy.


From Rico: Any thoughts on replacements for Sheffield and Niese?
Mack: Frankly Rico, I’m pretty speechless at this point.

I’m pretty much a half-full glass kind of guy, but I don’t think I could write up another lineup after today’s game.

That being said, I guess Nelson Figueroa will take over the Niese roll, though I do hear that Bobby Parnell may wind up the year starting again. Regarding Sheffield, at this point I really don’t care who the Mets put in the outfield. This is like watching the Sci-Fi channel and I just hope the Mets begin to rest what’s left of the core of this team.

I think a lot of us want to see some of the kids come up, but that really doesn’t matter. Let the guys on the DL stay there for the season, cut back on using David Wright every day, and consider using less of Frankie Rodriquez. Regarding Santana, pitching him every sixth or seventh day could actually hurt him more than help him, so just let him take his turn and get him out of their in the 100-110 pith range.

I’d also like to see RPs Tim McNabb and Adam Bostick come up. There’s a good chance the Nieve injury could go well into the 2010 season, thus, Parnell comes back in the picture for the SP5 roll. The team needs more relief pitching for 2010 and I know in my heart at least one of these guys can do well in Queens.

1 comment:

Wally said...

Mack I agree with you that Satin can field at second base. He also teams well with Flores,SS to turn the double play. I believe he committed two of those seven errors while playing first base on the road.