6/14/12

Anonymous Comments – Mack Ade



I had to once again remove the capability of placing comments here at Mack’s Mets without first making up a name and becoming part of this community.
A couple of rude readers decided to take off after Stephen Guilbert on a particular post of his. One actually made some good points; however, as my wife always reminds me, “it’s not what you do but how you do it” that counts.
Negative anonymous comments generated traffic, something we call “hits”. Hits generate a large page view total which advertisers use to determine your monetary value to them. Large sites like MetsBlog and Metsmerized thrive on these kind of numbers and, thus, secure advertising dollars to support the administrators. I understand this. I was in advertising sales for 32 years.
I am long past attempting to secure financial support that way. I currently have one private sponsor and continue to try and find more that way exclusively ($500 for a yearly ad). I like to keep the channels open here for everyone, but a few bad apples continue to change my mind regarding this. Joe D at the aforementioned mega-site Metsmerized reminds me that he gave up on anonymous posters years ago. Frankly, his registered members are harsh enough J
Folks, I don’t want to turn this into another drama post, but, this is a niche adult site for intelligent men and women that want to share their thoughts in a proper manner. Most of the writers here once were only members that left comments. I pride myself on developing writers (frankly, I’m surprised someone hasn’t already stolen Stephen) and giving them a home where they don’t have to put up with this crude dribble. I create enough of that simply on my own.
I’m not going to be around here for much longer. My writings have gained the respect of my peers, but my personality hasn’t. I have conducted myself consistently throughout my life and I can’t see me changing at this point. I stay alive from medicine. I write because I love to. I hope you read it for the same reason.
We’re going to permanently shit-can the anonymous posts from now on. I tried to be interactive on Twitter again this month and we all know where that wound up. I still have a Twitter account, #JohnMackinAde, but it is once again limited to me following other writers, posting when a new post goes up, and no future interaction with readers. I operate better that way.
I hope you understand. Frankly, I can live with it if you can’t. I’m going to post this, go watch the Mets game this afternoon, and try and get through the day without an International incident. That’s the best I can do. One day at a time.

No comments: