11/7/09

Minors Stuff




New York Mets


The biggest player-development success story was Bobby Parnell, who set a franchise rookie record with 68 appearances and at one point emerged as the primary set-up man to Rodriguez. Parnell's audition as a starter didn't go as well, as he went 1-5, 7.93 in eight starts. Josh Thole came up to New York in September, batted .321 and looked better than the Mets other catching options.


Magallanes 3, Caribes 1

Cubs catching prospect Robinson Chirinos homered to snap a fifth-inning tie as the first-place Navegantes shut down the Caribes for their eighth win in nine games. Mets Minor Leaguer Jose Sanchez struck out five and allowed a run on seven hits over 4 2/3 innings for Magallanes. Former Major Leaguer Lew Ford collected three hits and drove in the lone run for Anzoategui

Every morning I go to the Dunkin’ Donuts on Chambers St and the young ladies at the counter see me and get my X-tra large just milk ready for me. Well today the DD was packed with parade goers who gave me dirty looks because of my Mets cap. No one made a peep though as seeing me chatting with a couple of cops and traffic agents in the store, they figured I was a cop as well, but when I walked to the front of the 10 deep line, handed the girl at the counter my Mets DD debit card to swipe for my purchase and turned to leave, I flashed my card and pointed to my cap and said “Stay thirsty my friends”

http://networkedblogs.com/p16949805

Here are some more do-overs the Mets would love… (National sports journalists, feel free to use them.)
Mets wish they had a do-over on the Putz trade which in retrospect netted them very little in exchange for six players. (Hopefully they’ll stay away from players with untreated bone spurs in the future.)
Mets wish they had a do-over when they named Daniel Murphy as their everyday leftfielder and Mike Pelfrey their number two starter. (Will they repeat the mistake and name Omir Santos the everyday catcher?)
Mets wish they had a do-over when they replaced the old homerun apple with a $2 million dollar apple that didn’t work. (Luckily, the Mets hitting back to back homeruns is a pretty rare occurrence these days.)
Mets wish they had a do-over on how they initially handled many of the Mets player injuries. (Although I’m not sure a do-over would change anything.)
Mets Alumni:

Carlos Gomez has talent, the greatest of which is raw speed. He also has the baseball instincts of an Icelandic grade-schooler. As wonderful as he was to watch play center field, Gomez was a disaster everywhere else. He was clueless in the batter’s box. And he was prone to base-running gaffes, one of which probably cost the Twins a playoff game against the Yankees.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/newsstand/discussion/powers_clueless_gomez_a_bigger_risk_than_slumping_hardy

The Red Sox will not re-sign Billy Wagner, whose 2010 option wasn't picked up by the team as a condition of the left-hander waiving his no-trade clause with the Mets in August. -- Boston Herald

Aragua 9, La Guaira 6 (12 innings)
Twins Minor Leaguer Justin Huber hit his second homer of the game, a three-run blast in the 12th inning, as the Tigres snapped the Tiburones' three-game winning streak. Huber also slugged a two-run shot in the fourth, while Giants prospect Ramon Castro hit a solo homer for Aragua. Cesar Suarez (Rays) homered and drove in four runs for La Guaira.

Licey 3, Aguilas 0

Jorge Sosa allowed four hits over 5 2/3 innings to outduel fellow Major League veteran Jose Lima as the Tigres blanked the Aguilas. Rays utilityman Willy Aybar and Yankees prospect Juan Miranda each had two hits and an RBI for Licey. Lima was charged with two runs on eight hits in six innings

http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091107&content_id=7635074&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb



General:

Brett Myers was told today that his Phillies career is over, the Inquirer's Jim Salisbury reports.

``I officially won’t be a Phillie next year,’’ the 29-year-old pitcher told The Inquirer this afternoon.

In a meeting with general manager Ruben Amaro Jr., today, Myers was told that the team will not attempt to negotiate a new contact with him this offseason. Myers contact expired after the World Series. He said he will file for free agency today.

``Actually I’m not as disappointed as I thought I’d be,’’ Myers said. ``I don’t know if it’s because other things are in front of me, blurring my vision. I’m packing and getting ready to drive home (to Jacksonville, Fla.) tomorrow.

``It just didn’t hit me as hard as I thought it would. I kind of felt it coming.’’


Some prospect injury news that is still a bit developing. First, No. 1 overall draft pick Stephen Strasburg will miss his scheduled start in Saturday’s Rising Stars game at the Arizona Fall League. The National righthander has a muscle strain in his neck, according to an AFL press release. Righthander Tommy Mendoza (Angels) has replaced Strasburg on the Rising Stars roster.

No comments: