5/1/10

Where Has Jack Been?

(The original version of this post can be found at Productive Outs and Crackerjack.)

Mack called me out the other day on how I haven't been posting much lately, either here or at my regular blog. As he is so often when evaluating minor-league talent, Mack was right.

Most writers go through periods where they simply aren't as prolific as they can be. It was different when I was a professional - the more I wrote, the more money I made. Even when I wasn't feeling inspired, I found a way to get something down so I could collect a paycheck for it.

Now that I am an amateur again, I go through these periods where I just do not have much to say. It's why I admire the best written blogs in the Mets universe (Mack's Mets definitely included!) because the authors always find a way to give the readers fresh content, no matter what else is going on or how uninspired they may really feel.

So Mack called me out, and I immediately started a "State of the Mets" piece so I that could have some new content. I tried to stay focused, but I ran out of material even before I got through the relievers. I just lost the patience to get through another long-form post and so I abandoned the project.

The Mets are in first place, they beat up on the Phillies last night and they are turning heads in the National League. So why am I not posting more?

Complacency, I guess. It's hard to rail against a team that's won 10 of 11 games. I think that I've set myself up as a contrarian voice against what remains a wildly mismanaged franchise, but that voice rings hollow when the team is winning.

As a writer, I have become a pathological second-guesser. Too much time is spent focusing on what is wrong and not enough on what is right. And right now, the Mets are right.

Of course Jenrry Mejia should be in Double-A and working on secondary pitches. But he dominated the eighth inning last night even if the Mets already had an seven-run lead. It's obvious that Frank Catalanotto should be unemployed right now instead of doing his worst Marlon Anderson imitation. It's clear that Carlos Beltran's career may be over and the team's mismanagement of a very serious injury may have contributed to that.

But, Mets fan, what do you care? The Mets are in first place. Ike Davis looks like a keeper. Mike Pelfrey looks like a #2 starter. Jon Niese looks like he will be a legitimate #3 starter once he gains a little more experience. Jeff Francouer, God save us all, is hitting.

The shrill voice of logic and reason can always be drowned out when, in the moment, it *looks* like everything is going right. I've been drowning that voice out myself - and that's why I've had very little to say.

The first month of the 2010 season is a reminder of Tug's magnificent old saying - 'Ya Gotta Believe!" I've stopped believing. Maybe it's time I find a way to start doing so again.

No comments: