6/5/12

2012 MLB Draft Day One – by Mack Ade


First thing first… I want to thank Stephen Guilbert and David Rubin for handling the festivities last night on the site. They did an ‘amazin’ job.
It’s been a long time since I felt happy after a Day One. It sickened me that they passed on Yasmani Grandal, I simply wasn’t thrilled with either the Reese Havens or Ike Davis pick, and last year made no sense to me at all. It’s easy to have hindsight intelligence; however,I could make an all-star team of players the Mets passed on with their first round picks.
It was obvious last night that there was a run on bats. This draft is famous for running out of them by around the third round, so many teams simply put their plans on picking a pitcher to later on in the night. Still, there was Courtney Hawkins, Lucas Giolito, and Lance McCullers still not picked. There wasn’t supposed to be names like this still around.
1sr Round – 12th overall – SS Gavin Cecchini – we all knew it was coming and, according to my sources, this was a good, safe pick. It will be interesting if he signs early and is sent to Brooklyn to play alongside Philip Evans. Who plays short? I’m not upset, but I am disappointed. I’ve always thought that Day One was the time to make a splash (please don’t let me revisit and write about the Day One picks in the past 10 years).
Cecchini is okay (it that how you spell his name? Just what I needed was another jumble last name). He’s fast as hell and can spray in the box. This is not the brother with the pop. You’re not going to find any bad about this kid. He’s another Mr. America type and fits perfectly into the image the Mets are creating in their infield. Can you imagine what an infield  of Ike Davis, Cecchini, Evans, and David Wright looks like on the field at the same time?
Still, in the words of the NYFS posters, this was a ‘meh’ pick.
Supplemental 1st Round – 35th overall – C Kevin Plawecki – Jonathan Mayo said on the MLB-TV coverage that “maybe he won’t be an everyday player…”. That’s great. Why wait until day three to pick future part-time players?

5 comments:

Luis said...

Very Dissapointed... we get a second tier catcher for the losing of Jose Reyes. Cecchini was just ok, but Giolito-Smoral or Gallo or McCullers or Jankowsky sounded better, anyway I`m not scout, but....

Mack Ade said...

I can't defend what they did but I can offer a possible reason.

This is a light draft. Next year isn't. Draft cheap this year and have more money for next year...

Anonymous said...

Why would drafting this year allow them to have more money next year? I thought that the slot for your pick only decides how much you have and nothing else? Wouldn't have drafting Giolito been smarter drafting in that situation then, if you sign him great, if you don't we have a extra pick for next year. Whatever i'm no draft expert I hope both of these kids prove everyone wrong but time will tell.

Mack Ade said...

we're all trying to understand this new agreement, but I thought, if you spend lESS than allotted this year, it adds to next year amount

Sandy and DePo have said 100x that they draft high-ceiling. They simply didn't with the first two picks

sounds like Wilpon and accountants are pulling the $$ strings here

David Rubin said...

If you don't sign someone, you do get a pick next year but you do NOT get any additional money per se. When they figure out how many picks u have, they will determine how much you have to spend next year like they did this year. I'm sure they'll have to allocate more $$ if u have more picks, but probably not enough to justify not signing someone this year.