6/4/12

MLB Dirt - Final Mock

2012 MLB Mock Draft: Final Edition


The MLB Draft is Monday and we are only a few days away. This is our final mock draft and we went all out for this one. Jonathan and I alternated picks as usual, me starting off with the Astros. Our other three mock drafts have been only the first round but this one we decided to do the supplemental too. Once we got going, we decided we’d keep going and do the second round too. Each pick has a report and our reasoning. I can’t wait till Monday comes and we see teams surprise everyone, going against all the mock drafts. Enjoy.

1. Astros (Mike): Byron Buxton (OF – Georgia HS) Part of me wants to go pitching here but I think that the Astros end up taking the best player available here and that remains to be Buxton. He puts big time superstar potential into this rebuilding system and I don’t think the Astros pass up on his talent. He’ll take some time but Buxton has five tool potential and a big time ceiling.

2. Twins (Jonathan): Mark Appel (RHP – Stanford) Appel’s most recent start solidified his status as one of the top, if not the top, arms in the draft. His fastball can touch the upper-90s and his change-up already flashes plus with an at least average breaking ball. He has good control and an ideal pitcher’s frame. I have take LSU pitcher Kevin Gausman in this spot previously and I could still see his name being called here over Appel. I do not see Zimmer going here with his velocity down in his last few starts since the injury.

3. Mariners (M): Carlos Correa (SS – Puerto Rico HS) Zunino has been a popular pick here and I really considered but I think that the Mariners go for the guy with the higher ceiling. I have been reading lately that the Mariners have been scouting Correa hard. Conor Glassey of BaseballAmerica reported that they had 6 scouts at the Excellence Tournament where Correa put on a show. I think he eventually slides to third but he has big time offensive potential there.

4. Orioles (J): Kevin Gausman (RHP –LouisianaState) The Orioles are likely going with the best player available and that is where I will go with this pick. Gausman has ace potential with a fastball that has been clocked at 99 mph, a potentially plus change-up, and a breaking ball that can be above-average. He has an ideal frame and could move fast throughBaltimore’s system with Dylan Bundy and Manny Machado. I simply do not see Zunino as an option here and I think the Orioles would love for one of Buxton or Correa to fall to them here.

5. Royals (M): Mike Zunino (C -Florida) As much as the Royals want pitching here, I don’t think they pass on Zunino’s talent as he is the best player available. He’s the complete package as a catching prospect and I think Zunino would move pretty quickly and fit in with the young core that the Royals have. I also considered Kyle Zimmer and Max Fried for the pick.

6. Cubs (J): Albert Almora (OF – Florida HS) I had the Cubs taking Almora in out latest Mock and I am sticking with him. The Cubs will likely take the best player with the highest ceiling and that might be Almora. He is a plus defender in center with that chance to develop into a 5-tool player and has been climbing draft boards like crazy of late. Max Fried and Kyle Zimmer are also potential picks here.

7. Padres (M): Max Fried (LHP – California HS) I think the Padres go for the BPA here and I believe Fried is the guy. He is the top left handed pitcher in the draft and he has exceptional polish for a prep pitcher. He has top of the rotation potential with 3 potential plus pitches. I also considered Kyle Zimmer for the pick.

8. Pirates (J): Deven Marrero (SS –ArizonaState) I’m sticking with the same pick in our last two Mocks. The Pirates might be tempted to add another arm like Zimmer or Fried (if available) to their system here butMarrero looks to be the pick here.Marrero is a plus defender at short and has an above-average hit tool and plays the game the right way. He should be up when the likes of Gerrit Cole, Starling Marte, Robbie Grossman, and Kyle McPherson are ready with Jameson Taillon right behind. He fills a void in the organization without reaching and the Pirates should have no problems signing him and maybe save a few dollars to spend on later picks.

9. Marlins (M): Courtney Hawkins (3B – Texas HS) I think that the Marlins go with a high ceiling prep player here and with Fried and Almora off the board, Hawkins is the guy. He has some of the best power in the entire draft with excellent bat speed. I think he eventually moves to right field but his arm and speed will fit there nicely. I also considered McCullers and Giolito.

10. Rockies (J): David Dahl (OF – Alabama HS) Dahl has not faced the best competition and has looked a little bored at time but he has loads of tools and the athleticism to stay, and be very good in center field. He also has the chance to have at least average tools across the board and he will get the “5-tool” from some scouts. The Rockies will likely look for upside here and I think they would like Almora, Fried, or Hawkins to fall here.

11. Athletics (M): Kyle Zimmer (RHP -San Francisco) Despite a slipping stock due to a hamstring injury and inconsistent velocity, Zimmer remains one of the top pitchers in the draft. I don’t think he falls pastOakland here. He has just good all around stuff and top of the rotation potential. He will take a little longer to reach the majors compared to the other college arms but he has one of the highest ceilings.

12. Mets (J): Gavin Cecchini (SS – Louisiana HS) I spoke to a team scout who said Cecchini absolutely can stay at shortstop but he does not have his brother’s (Garin Cecchini) potential with the bat. He does have the ability to hit for a high average with potential double-digit power. The Mets would love if Almora or Hawkins fell here but I still think Cecchini has a lot of upside and the Mets would be happy to take him at 12. I could also see Michael Wacha or Lucas Giolito (depending on health) going here.

the rest of the mock...

No comments: