11/17/14

Gary Giordano - Remembering..... 1967-68: years of change and opportunities



The games I saw at Shea in '67 included a 9-5 win over the Pirates where Pirate 3rd baseman Jose Pagan made 3 errors in one inning.  I don't remember how we scored entrance to the Diamond Club before the game but while there I got to meet Mets outfielder Al Luplow and coach Yogi Berra.  I attended a July doubleheader against the Cards where the Mets won the first game 1-0 when Bud Harrelson scored on a wild pitch in the bottom of the 9th.  The 2nd game saw rookie pitcher Steve Carlton not only win the game but hit a homer for the Cards.

I was impressed with a Mets rookie while watching a game from Atlanta on TV that summer.  He pitched a complete game, drove in most of the Mets runs and even stole a base in a 4-3 win over the Braves.  I knew right then Tom Seaver was going to be something special.

1968 brought a lot of changes: graduation from high school, my girlfriend deciding to move on to bigger and better things (rumor has it she married a die hard Mets fan so all is forgiven) and the Mets hired Gil Hodges as manager.

I was also invited to a tryout with the Mets at Shea that summer.  Although nothing came of it I got to dress in the visitors clubhouse, sit in the visitors dugout and play a little first base on hallowed ground.  I was also selected by the Giants to play on a team of prospects in a NY metro area league.  Alas it wasn't meant to be as the Giants decided to not sponsor a team anymore

1 comment:

Tom Brennan said...

A few years too late for the try out, Gary. If you'd tried out in 1962, I hear the clean up spot was available!