12/27/09

Orlando Hudson, Ken Davidoff, more "Neg-Omar". 10 Things to Do... and Ted Williams' Head


Orlando Hudson:

The Mets remain the team 'most interested' in Orlando Hudson's services, according to the Boston Globe.
Our View: However, if they want to land the 2009 All Star and Gold Glove award winner, they need to find something to do with Luis Castillo first. By the time that happens, Hudson could be ready to sign somewhere else.  -  fantasysp
 

Ken Davidoff:
 
Come on in, Mets fans. Have a seat. Can I offer you some two-day-old eggnog? Some two-week-old potato latkes? Wait, the Chinese place across the street is open. Let's get some fresh takeout. We need to talk. You have a problem, and it's time to deal with it. At a time when common sense dictates it should be getting better, it's only getting worse.
newsday



Neg-Omar:

I feel sorry for Omar Minaya. His biggest mistake as GM to me was hiring his friends into top jobs. It doesn’t work. From Tony Bernazzard to Ramon Pena to Bingo mgr Mako Oliveras to Julio Franco to Luis Aguayo they all failed at their jobs and they all failed Minaya. Now some of you are saying “see too many Latinos” but if you can look past your bias, you’ll see it’s more of guys that Minaya grew up through the ranks from player to scout to front office person throughout baseball that he surrounded himself with and it could just cost him his job. Add in the fact that Minaya is real old school when it comes to evaluating talent and maybe his way of thinking is outdated in today’s baseball  -  kranepoolsociety.


10 Things To Do:

6. Get an innings-eating starter. - There are a few available via free agency and through a salary dump deal. Stop fooling yourself into believing that Perez and John Maine will one day be 200-inning starters.

7. Pick up a righthanded-hitting first baseman with some pop. It’s fine if you want to give Daniel Murphy a shot to be the starter. But it won’t hurt to have a RH-hitting slugger off the bench — or to take over in case Murph follows in the footsteps of Jason Phillips.

8. Hire a mental coach. Mike Pelfrey, Oliver Perez, Angel Pagan, and John Maine are just a few of the players who might benefit from some mental gymnastics training. This guy seems pretty good.

9. Bring in an outfield coach. Hire Ron Swoboda to work with Angel Pagan during spring training. Who knows maybe he can teach him some baserunning as well.

10. Hire an assistant to Dan Warthen. You had your chance to fire the bus driver but since he’s still around the least you can do is provide him some help to address the staff that walked more batters than every MLB team other than the Nationals. Brad Radke, Bob Tewksbury, and Fritz Peterson are three of the greatest living control pitchers of all time, and none have a job in baseball right now. - metstoday  
 

Ted Williams' Head:
 
Sometimes, when I'm thinking about baseball and the old days, and what happened in the game after I retired, I do think about ol' Teddy Ballgame, and I start to thinking, "I should invite him over. I hear he's an interesting guy." And then I remember, But he's a goddamn severed head! And I shiver a little and then put it out of my mind. But now I got the ol' colonel telling me I should make the effort, and so I promise I will. Next chance I get, I'm gonna invite Ted Williams's severed head over for a party. Should be interesting. Stay tuned for that one. -  theghostofbaberuth.

No comments: