8/10/12

STUFF – Andres Torres, Brandon Nimmo, Josh Satin, My Brother Jim


Andres Torres

Boy, the day game on Thursday was exactly how it was supposed to happen this year, wasn’t it?  Dominant pitching, even more dominant (cough – complete game) relief pitching (cough) and timely hitting led by their superstar, David Wright. There was one thing that stood out and that was the fact that there was only one outfielder in today’s lineup that was projected to be here at this point in the season, Andres Torres. He had a great day (3-3, HR) but, I have to tell you. It would be my luck that he got hot for the rest of the season just to confused the shit out of Sandy and Company. I really don’t want this guy around next season and that’s saying a lot since the only outfielder I do still want around is Jason Bay (platoon him for contract reasons). Let me amend that. I want Hairston, but the Mets will not pay him what others will offer. 

Brandon Nimmo

Thursday was the third game in-a-row that CF super-prospect (MMs-#4) CF Brandon Nimmo sat out with a ‘sore shoulder’. The original ‘injury’ didn’t even warrant a mention in the wrap-up story that night, and there’s been no follow up information since. I’m sure Adam Rubin would have sniffed up something if had anything to worry about here. BTW, I continue to talk to and read positive things about Mr. Nimmo. The latest:

                             Dave Gershman‏ -

Q - Has Brandon Nimmo been the best player you've seen this year ?

                               A -  Yes sir 

Dave is a Twitter buddy (@JohnMackinAde - @Dave_Gershman He’s also an ESPN.com contributor, Marlins columnist, New York-Penn League Writer and Independent Scout.

For the record, I don’t hate the player; I hate the process of drafting a player in the first round that never even played high school baseball. I would stand by that even if he won the MVP award, though I might waver if he also brought home the Cy Young. 

Josh Satin

I wrote earlier this year when Josh was banging around at around .250 that you had no reason to worry. He was definitely going to finish the season over .300. Look at his career… 2008-California: .379… 2009-Savannah: .284… 2010-St. Lucie: .316… Binghamton: .308… 2011: Binghamton: .325, Buffalo: .317…now, after his first four at bats tonight: .302. He’s had two visits to Queens: 25 at-bats last year (.200) and one fucking wack this year (.000). One.  He is eligible for the Rule Five draft this off-season. What do you think? 

My Brother Jim

The biggest Mets fan in my life arrives next week. He’s actually my brother-in-law, but he’s far more important to me than anyone carrying my blood inside of them. Jim used to call me all the time to talk about the Mets, but that doesn’t happen anymore. In fact, he hasn’t called once this entire season. He shares the same malady that one of our great MMs writers (Jack Flynn) is now afflicted with. He simply didn’t survive the Bernie Madoff mess and no longer considers the Mets something important in his life. Age does that. I used to live to play my guitar, but have only picked it up twice in over a year. My wife would never get off the dance floor, but I can’t remember she even twirling in our living room (I said ‘living room’). Priorities change and, with Jim, first it was the Fred Wilpon antics followed by the loss of his favorite player, Jose Reyes. I don’t know what next week will be like. We always take his three kids to a Savannah game, which is out since I currently live in a bed. We could talk about his mother, but that’s just going to make me take more morphine. Two great Mets fans, one who now only writes and both that never root.

2 comments:

Brian Joura said...

I want Mike Baxter back, too. While I don't think he's as good as he's been this year, he's still an MLB-quality player who is pre-arb.

Mack Ade said...

BTW, has anyone heard from Turner?