11/30/12

Draft 13 - Q and A - RHP - Nick Rumbelow – LSU



Mack - We snagged one of the big ones here folks. LSU's big RHP Nick Rumbelow has agreed to spend a few minutes with us. Thanks Nick and I assume you're 'tossing' has begun for the upcoming season?

Nick - Yes sir, throwing started up for me on Monday the 3rd of September, after receiving some time off after a heavy work load this summer. After a couple days of throwing under my belt right now I am feeling very well and the arm is 100%.

Mack – First and most important, did you and your teammates that live in the area fair well from Hurricane Issac?

Nick - We did, we were very prepared and took the necessary steps to remain safe during the hurricane! Thank you for asking.

Mack – Rumble, let’s go back to that day someone first put either a ball, bat, or glove in your hands and take us through the steps it took to reaching your junior season at one of the greatest schools on the map.

Nick - What a journey it has been. Let me tell you, I am from a small Texas country town,( pop. 1500), my parents have been the two individuals who I owe the most to in the great journey I am on. I started playing ball when I was 4 years old. I was just a 4 year old with a love for the game and am blessed to say I am still that 4 year old at heart when it comes to the game of baseball. I have had the opportunity to meet so many remarkable people on this journey ranging from field maintenance men all the way to head coaches of the teams. The teammates you make become brothers and you learn so much about life through this great game. I will be the first to tell you it has not been an easy path getting to LSU and continuing to play there. There are many ups and downs along the way in making a dream come true but the feeling of success is well worth it. I am so humbled by the great people who have helped me to get to this point in my career and very thankful to the man upstairs for making this all possible.

Mack – I couldn’t answer that question better. Walk us through your repertoire so everyone knows what you’re throwing and tell us if you have been working on anything new this summer?

Nick - I am a max effort right-handed pitcher. When I step on the mound I use a lot of energy and have a very fast tempo. I have a repertoire that consist of four pitches. I predominantly work off my fastball mixed with a hard breaking. I will also throw a "get me over" curveball that is around 3-4 MPH slower than my hard breaking ball to change speeds on people as well so I don’t have to show my strike-out pitch early in counts. I do mix in a change-up when necessary. This summer I worked on getting ahead with my fastball which makes my off speed that much better.

Mack – In closing, is there anything you want to say to either the Tigers fans, readers, or scouts out there that read this site every day?

Nick - Mack, I would like to thank you for the opportunity to do this interview. It was a pleasure. The only thing I would want to close with is for the readers to challenge themselves to be the best that can be every day, in all areas of life. Thanks again Mack.

No comments: