11/8/12

Draft 13 – Q and A – OF – Corey Ray – Simeon H.S. (IL)


Draft 13 – Q and A – OF – Corey Ray – Simeon H.S. (IL)

Mack - Morning folks. We’re talking with one of the young talented outfielders coming out of the Midwest this year, Simeon High School’s Cory Ray. Hey Corey, how did the summer go for you?

Corey - The summer was great, one I will remember forever, I had the opportunity to go places and do things I've never dreamed I'd be able to do.

Mack – Like?

Corey - Things like USA Baseballs Tournament of stars, that is where I had the opportunity to see where I matched up against the best players in the country, the talent that was there was unbelievable and the coaching and mentoring that I received was second to none, in just that week alone I felt myself grow as a baseball player.

Next was the Area Code games in Long Beach California, it was my first time ever being in California so that was a memorable trip right there, but then I played with some of the best guys in my region and against the best players in other regions and that made the trip that much more special.

Lastly, the Under Armour All America game was something that I will definitely remember for the rest of my life, being known as one of the top 36 players in the country was a very humbling accomplishment for me, it took place in my hometown Chicago at Wrigley field, it was the first game I played in Chicago throughout the whole summer and i had a lot of friends and family come out and support me. The thing that I will remember best is the gear that we received and the life friends that I made. Also I will never forget the taking part in running the Children's clinic. One thing I have always wanted to do is give back. I don't do it because it’s something that's supposed to be done, I do it because I love it. Baseball is kind of a lost cause in my community and if there is any one child that I can touch and make better or give the opportunity to play the game at a competitive level that is what I plan to do, I don't know everything about the game, but every little thing that I do I try to give to someone else and help make them not only a better baseball player but a better individual as well.  

PG - Corey Ray is a 2013 OF with a 6-0,180 lb. frame from Chicago, IL who attends Simeon Career Academy. Medium athletic build, good present strength. 6.76 runner, plays faster than 60 time, good outfield actions, quick loose arm action, arm strength projects with better mechanics. Left handed hitter, deep load, strong line drive swing, quick hands, fluid swing, shows gap power, middle of the field hitter, occasionally late getting hands started, good feel for hitting. Good student, verbal commitment to Louisville.

Mack – I can’t imagine anyone having a more eventful summer. Is there anything in particular you learned from someone you met for the first time this summer during one of the showcases/games?

Cory - Just over all from the whole summer I learned to always have a purpose when doing something. Whenever I step on the field always have a purpose and approach to get better.

12-6-11 – PBR/Illinois - Corey Ray, the No. 2-ranked prospect in the Class of 2013, has verbally committed to the University of Louisville. The 5-foot-11, 175-pound outfielder from Simeon HS is one of the most coveted left-handed hitting prospects in the country. A standout performer since his freshman year at Simeon, Ray enjoyed a monster sophomore campaign last spring when he batted .415 with 45 runs and 14 stolen bases. Ray saw his national stock skyrocket over the summer and fall when he delivered at several high-exposure events. Ray was especially impressive at USA Baseball’s Breakthrough Series, where he showed off all his tools, including his pure left-handed swing.


Mack – So, here comes the senior season and all the attention. How do you plan on staying focused at the task on hand and who do you call upon next to you to help you get there?

Cory - Whenever times get rough I call upon my grandfather.  He is always there for me to talk to about anything, when I’m in a slump I talk to him about it and although his responses are simple and as short as, "you better start putting the bat on the ball if you want to play at the next level," they help. I plan to just try to just stay focused on the baseball and my team no matter what. Last year we were a game short of going to State. This year, I'm determined to not only help my team get there, but to win a State Championship as well.


No comments: