11/12/12

2013 Draft – Q and A – OF-1B – Jared King – Kansas State


2013 Draft – Q and A – OF-1B – Jared King – Kansas State

Mack – Afternoon everybody. Today’s guest is Kansas State junior OF/1B Jared King, easily one of the most sought after outfield prospects come next June. Hey Jared. Are you in Kansas as we communicate?

Jared - I am in Kansas.

Mack – The first question is the same I ask everyone. Take us back to that first day someone put either a bat or ball into your hands and walk us through the steps that got you to this point in your career.

Jared - Well, I started playing as soon as I could walk. My dad pitched to my brother and Ii in the backyard every day. He taught both of us how to switch hit by throwing us one way then picking up the balls we missed and tossing those the other way. He coached my brother and I all the way through high school and now, being in college, has really improved my game.

Mack – You are truly blessed to be born to a man like that. Jared, you and I share a similar tragedy. Both our mothers died when we were young. What was the most important thing she taught you and your brother before she passed when you were 15?

Freshman (2011): Had a stellar rookie campaign, earning Freshman All-American honors from Collegiate Baseball, while he was named a Second Team All-Big 12 performer and earned a spot on the Big 12 All-Freshman team... Was the first Wildcat freshman named either first- or second-team all-conference since Andy Replogle in 1973... Played in 50 games with 48 starts, hitting .307 with 12 doubles, two triples, eight home runs and 40 RBI... Also went 13-for-16 on the base paths... Tied for eighth in the Big 12 and was second on the team in home runs... Also ranked sixth in the league slugging percentage (.534)... http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/king_jared00.html

Jared - The most important thing I learned from my mom was that to just have fun and enjoy your time here because you never know what’s going to happen... and she always gave me the best hitting advice.. just watch the ball and hit the bat!

Mack: Jared, I don't have to remind you the importance of this next season. Has there been anything special you have done in the off-season to reach your goals come June?

Jared – Well, this fall I've been really working on staying in shape and working out/conditioning. Just trying to stay in the best shape as possible and let everything else take care of itself.

Mack – Thank you Jared for spending this time with me today. I’m going to check back with you halfway through the season and see how things have progressed for you. Put the bat on the ball!
Jared - No problem thank you!

No comments: