11/10/12

11-10-12 – Mike Nickeas, Wilmer Flores, Overall Week, MMs




As I predicted, C Mike Nickeas is back wearing a Mets uniform. I’m sure this is a combination of two things… one, he looked around and no team bit on the worm… and two, what’s wrong with a job paying you $400,000+ in Las Vegas playing baseball? The organization loves having him work with the young pitchers and I’m sure you’ll see him catching Zack Wheeler while Juan Centeno might take most of the action. Great move by the Mets.

Facebook post by Las Vegas - Mets 2012 #9 Prospect, 3B Wilmer Flores is playing well in the Venezuela Winter League (.338, 3 HR). Finished in Double-A last season playing 66 games hitting .311 with 8 HRs. Maybe a LV visit will be next? – I don’t think there is any doubt that Flores will play AAA next season, but the question remains is what do you do with both Jefry Marte and Zach Lutz? My assumption is that Reese Havens will play 2B there, but we’ll have to wait and see.

This wasn’t a bad week when it comes to shaping the 2013 Mets. The Jason Bay move will not be able to be fully analyzed until the exact amount of deferred money is announced and whether or not it is used to attract a new outfielder. Past that, signing C Mike Nickeas and RP-CL Greg Burke only strengthens the emergency corp that will live next year in Las Vegas. It was interesting that Sandy Alderson threw out the names of Dillon Gee and Jon Niese to reporters as possible trade candidates. He wasn’t even asked! Lastly, now the beat guys are being told that RA Dickey might sign a 2-year extension. Yesterday it was 5-years. Amazing. I think we are far away from what this team will eventually look like come the day when pitchers and catchers report, no less opening day.

And lastly, my health has made a turn for the best and, beginning next week, I will be spending less time sitting on my ass, writing online. I’m not exactly sure how this will change Mack’s Mets, but there will be an original morning report, like this one, six days a week. The ‘War Room’ feature will also still be posted every Sunday morning. Past that, I reach out to the other writers here to increase their contribution and I ask any of you to consider becoming writers as well. The site works best with original material, but I never was successful turning this into a revenue source and I must now return to the workforce to keep the bill collectors away from my door. Please stay with us. I value each and every one of you as both a reader and a contributor through questions. Email me at: macksmets@gmail to become a writer.


No comments: