11/7/12

Draft 13 – Q and A – SS – Connor Heady - N Oldham H.S. (KY)


Draft 13 – Q and A – SS – Connor Heady - N Oldham H.S. (KY)        

Mack - We’re talking today with another of the fine, young, shortstops that are eligible for the upcoming June draft. We’re talking today with Connor Heady, the price of N. Oldham H.S., in Kentucky. Hey Connor, are done with summer ball at this point in the ‘off-season’?

Connor - I haven't quite finished up my season, now moving on to my fall schedule with the Midwest Redbirds and then Jupiter with the Evoshield Canes, coming off a Gold medal finish with USA baseball in Korea, you could say this has been an exciting summer and looking forward to playing more this fall.

Mack – I’m sure you’ve been asked this a thousand times since returning from Seoul, but sum up the USA Baseball experience this season in one paragraph please.

Connor – Well, it was really a once in a lifetime experience and put it in perspective how good we have it here and how blessed we really are. Easily the best baseball experience in my lifetime so far and really enjoyed spending so much time with 20 of the best guys in the country. Of course, nothing at the amateur level can top that of bringing home the gold medal and listening to the National Anthem play.

PG – 2012 - Very good @ PG National 6.5 runner, 92 across the IF and very good all around hitting tools

Mack – Ya’ll did well, son. I’m sure it’s hard to come down from that rush, but, is there anything you are working on before you return for senior year?

Connor - I'm really going to work hard in the weight room and develop my body, as well as work on my hitting. I’m also going to continue to work at the game and really push myself this off season so I can play well in the spring

More PG - Connor Heady is a 2013 SS/RHP with a 6-0 175 lb. frame from Prospect, KY who attends North Oldham HS. Slender athletic build, has some present strength. 6.52 runner, very good range and quickness at shortstop, light on his feet, strong arm with carry, soft hands, has all the tools to stay in the middle infield for a long time. Right handed hitter, straight stance, low hand start, has some lift and extension out front, loose low tension swing, present bat speed, ball comes off the barrel hard, projects offensively. Also pitched, fastball to 88 mph from an extended 3/4's release point, gets downhill well, compact quick arm, slider has some bite at times, throws strikes. Doesn't stand out physically but has all the tools and knows how to play. Good student, verbal commitment to Kentucky.

Mack – It seems to me that it could be easy for an outsider to project you as a possible pitcher; however I love the 92-mph from the hole a lot more than the 88-89 from the mound (especially at your height). Can I assume you will remain projected as a shortstop come next June?

Connor - My goal is to be a career long shortstop and that is where I want to play and project at so that's where I'll stay come next June
Mack – That’s what I want to hear! Okay Connor, we’ll leave it here and we’ll check back with you mid-season to see how things are going.

No comments: